Sunday 29 May 2011

An Edmonton Art Gallery Adventure

It has been brought to my attention that while I don’t consider my local adventures too terribly exciting, someone from another country might.  So…with that being said…look out readers, you are about to get a dose of Canada!

Last weekend we travelled to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada for the weekend.  The purpose of this trip was to enjoy being a tourist in my own community.  On Friday night, I had found a festival guide in my hotel room at the Royal Inn Express, which by-the-way had an amazing Continental Breakfast and was so comfy and quiet.  This guide became an inspiration to try some of the things that many people actually travel to Edmonton to do.  The one major thing that stood out for this trip was the Art Gallery of Alberta and the Muttart Conservatory.   
The Art Museum of Alberta has always been a peek interest for me but I could never seem to find the time or excuse to drive into downtown Edmonton to see it.  This weekend would be that weekend for me, rain or shine.  On Sunday we decided to take the Light Rail Transit (LRT) into the city from Century Park. Originally we were planning on parking at the Southgate Mall station but after circling the parking lot numerous times, we came to discover that there was NO park n’ ride at this station.  To me this is completely bewildering.  I have never in my life been to a major transportation station and not found a park n’ ride, but this is one of the many things I find strange about Alberta’s urban planning.  Honestly, where was the thinking here?  After travelling further south to the Century Park station, my overly excited 3-year-old finally got his train ride.
We got off the LRT at the Central Station.  I had to laugh at this stop because Calaway Park located in Calgary, AB, had completely spammed to walls of the entire underground platform.  If we hadn’t already been to this park, I honestly might have been swayed by all the propaganda…but alas, I have, and will not be going back again.  I don’t enjoy an over-priced day at an over-rated amusement park.  Following this, we walked through a maze of urine scented hallways until we finally found sunshine in downtown Edmonton.  As we walked down the sidewalk I noticed The Russian Tea Room, a place to have a cup of tea, cheesecake and your fortune read which I mental noted for my next trip down.  In addition to this we hoped to eat at Healthfare, which of course was closed on Sundays.  My spoiled husband has already eaten there and says it is delicious. 
Once we arrived at Churchill Square we found that there were people playing in the giant fountain…so of course we joined in. 


After a good cooling off, we headed to the Art Gallery for some culture.  I highly recommend seeing this if you find yourself in the area.  It is a smaller gallery but carries some amazing pieces.  My favourite is Emily Carr.  She is a West Coast British Columbia gal who painted West Coast and Indigenous art…I could have stayed by her exhibit forever.  I honestly felt at home…my sense came alive again.  So beautiful.  But, with that said, Art Galleries aren’t the best places to take 3 children, 2 of which are young and needed naps at that particular time.  As a result, my beautiful daughter decided to protest our culture break and inform the building that it was time to go…Now. 

Unfortunately, the following day it was raining and windy so we postponed our Muttart Conservatory excursion for another tourist-in-your-town vacation.
Until next time….
Serena   

No comments:

Post a Comment