Sunday 15 May 2011

Viajar a España (Travelling to Spain)

In T-Minus 5 months...I will be flying to Spain.  While this particular trip involves my husband, it will be no less exciting and truly blog material.  The initial purpose of the trip was to satisfy the years of putting my true ambitions on hold.  Now, with the youngest of my 3 children nearing 2 years by that time, I am free to begin my solo journeys again.  After much thought was put into what to do on my debut trip out of the kitchen (and Canada), I decided that I would like my husband to awaken his inner travel bug and join me.  Since he is much more content with the stability and monotony of regular life, this was potentially going to be a hard sell.  I chose Spain due to its culture, architecture and other-worldly charm.  Additionally, the language barrier, which would create a challenge, and the relaxed way of life, which I hope will transfer onto my husband countering his workaholic nature, were major draws also.  In short, I think it would be an easy international trip for my less adventurous husband that could possibly lead to his desire to travel more…and of course who doesn’t love Spain?
 So to make this more exciting, we are travelling with no itinerary.  With backpacks packed full of necessities, we will step off of the plane and onto Barcelona soil with hope and ambition.  Chances are though that I will book the first night in a hotel to ensure that we are rested prior to our adventure, but after that warm, soft, inviting sleep, we will be finding hostels (or park benches) to lay our heads.  I would like to explore Barcelona for a few days and then make our way to the Granada area.  I am not certain as to whether we will fly or take the train.  The Lonely Planet books all describe Spain’s train system in comparison to “Alice in Wonderland” since “nothing is as it seems”.  This could create some challenges for us…but also could make for some great blogging stories. 
In preparation for our trip over the next 5 months I need to:
A)     Learn Spanish.  I have some French since my son is in Immersion and did well in French class as a teenager, but as experience has shown me, once I am put on the spot to use those skills I become a deer in headlights.  I recall driving through Quebec and stopping at a gas station.  As I looked around for a trash bin a man spoke French to me.  I looked at him as he pointed to a garbage can.  I searched frantically in my brain for the words “Merci” but could I find them?  NO.  A sheepish “Thank You” came out.  I fear this is what will happen in Spain. 
I need to brush up on my Spanish before I go.    
B)      Read my Lonely Planet Spain book.  I am sure a lot has changed since the “Europe on a Shoestring” book came out which I have been basing my knowledge on.  Knowing the ins and outs of Spain will ensure I won’t miss anything or waste too much time on problem areas (like the trains!).

I need to stop procrastinating and read the book.

C)      Stock my bag.  Thankfully I have a friend who has travelled in this style many times before.  I have my list of ‘must haves’ and have been prepped in hostel etiquette.  I still call her with questions and concerns from time to time.  Like the beautiful person she is, she answers my enquiries with grace and patience.  Thanks Nat!  Check out her blog at http://footlooseadventurer.blogspot.com/

I need to shop for my ‘must haves’.
Wish me luck!
Serena

1 comment: